Thursday 9 January 2014

Welcome! Why use this blog?

Welcome to Nid's Noggin Fix. Let's not beat around the bush, what's the point in reading this blog, i.e. how can this blog help you?

About me
I suffered post-concussion syndrome after a fall.  During my recovery process I found cooking a challenge on many levels, but rewarding too.  I'm not a chef and didn't really like cooking before my accident, so I have learnt quite a lot from this exercise. I wanted to share some of what I have learnt to help those recovering from other mild traumatic brain injuries (TBI).  

Why read my posts?
Pros of cooking when you've got a mild TBI:
  • Following a recipe requires you to concentrate, follow instructions, remember what you have done, avoid dangers, manage your time and organise yourself.
  • You have something healthy to eat at the end of it!
  • It gives you a sense of achievement in your day. 
  • You need to make a shopping list, i.e. organisation. 
  • Going shopping - find quieter shops or times of day to go. Focus on just what you have to get and don't look around at 'deals' being advertised. Buy only what is on your list!
  • Eating these recipes will give you a diet high in nutrients for your brain's health. 
  • You can take on more complex recipes as you build confidence challenging your cognitive skills. 
  • It can help your motivation to cook one meal. 
  • Make it social and cook for your friends. 
  • Other cognitive issues can be challenged such as brain flexibility where your attention is distracted by another person and you have to return to the task. Decision making on alternative foods and motivation to get the meal made are additional benefits. 
Cons:
  • Going shopping - this is a hazard for many with a mild TBI with lights, sounds, information overload, people to avoid and interact with. Don't get distracted by the information overload, this is all about focus and being mindful during the task at hand. 
  • Hazards such as ovens and gas stoves for burns. Buy some forearm length oven gloves! Move slowly and mindfully, check & re-check several times that you have turned off the gas.
  • The dish goes wrong - I've had soup without stock, chocolate cake without chocolate and a squash bake that I forgot to set, so I ate squash sludge. You have to laugh and enjoy the unusual taste!
I'd love to hear any comments or feedback on how I can help you follow the recipes or suggestions of how to vary any recipes. 

Take care and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment